Tikkun Olam (11:1 winter 2013)
From the editor’s introduction:
In some Jewish circles, tikkun olam is the essence of Judaism. Drawing from select passages in the prophetic tradition, it represents for them the ultimate Jewish value and the sum total of what being Jewish means. Take away tikkun olam and there is little left.
In other circles, however, the approach to tikkun olam is the polar opposite. “Sure,” the argument goes, “there is a value in helping others out. But don’t we Jews have enough problems of our own to take care of first?” For them, tikkun olam is a messianic dream, but we dare not even think about it until we’ve taken care of Jewish poverty, the safety of Israel, rampant assimilation of Jews into their host cultures, massive under-observance of mitzvot, insufficient commitment to Torah-study, and so much more….
This issue of Jewish Educational Leadership seeks to address both of those polar positions as well as those who find themselves somewhere in the middle.
We invite you to read more.
From the Editor
- Editor’s Introduction to Tikkun Olam by: Zvi Grumet
- Facing History and Ourselves Jewish Schools Partner Project: A pilot program fostering Tikkun olam in American Jewish day schools by: Beth B. Cohen
- An Orthodox Approach to Social Justice by: Shmuly Yanklowitz
- Empowering the Next Generation of Tzedakah-Givers: Introducing where do you give? A tzedakah curriculum by: Lisa Exler
- The Face of Panim by: Rachel Meytin
- Gathering the Shards: Tikkun olam in action by: Juli Kramer and Naomi Lev
- Tikkun Olam and Jewish Environmental Education by: Yonatan Neril
- Tikkun Olam by: Shimshon Hamerman
- Elegy for a Tree by: Barry Kornblau
- The Tikkun Olam Catch-All by: Levi Cooper
- Universalist Ethics in Challenging Situations by: Yaakov Blidstein
- An Expanded Paradigm for a Venerable Practice by: Judy Sokolow
- Global Service and Identity Formation: The value of engaging the conflicts by: Adam Berman and Shuki Taylor
- It Takes an (Eco-) Village to Raise a Child by: Ira Bedzow
- A Social Justice Bet Midrash by: Meesh Hammer-Kossoy