Re: Request for curricula
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

January 13, 1999 05:00AM
<HTML>
Dear Rabbi Berger,

Regarding the curriculum discussion, I may be able to offer a unique perspective. I taught in a US Jewish day school for three years, and now teach in a public religious high school in Israel. My experiences within two such very different systems has caused me to do a lot of thinking over the past several years, and I hope some of what I've found can be helpful to others.

I strongly sympathize with Rabbi Kramer's frustration about the disparity between Jewish and secular subjects in the US (in terms of curriculums). But the "secular" curriculums have all the vast advantages of being developed for the US public school system, versus the limmudei kodesh which are solely developed within private Jewish day schools with far fewer resources. So the disparity is really between private and public, not Torah versus secular. When I started teaching in Israeli public religious
schools I was overwhelmed (in a good way) by the clear curriculums,
teachers guides, and endless resources available in (nearly) every area of limmudei kodesh. This is opposed to the US, where I remember the "curriculum" for Tanakh given to me as a beginning teacher being an old xerox copy of a list of recommended Rashis to teach. The curriculum for gemara was more or less which perek to teach!

Israel has much more to offer in this way, but the US private system also has a major advantage: freedom. Each school can try to better meet the specific needs of its students. This is the positive side Tamar Fried mentioned, that curriculum can and should be be an "ongoing process." The downside of this is that it involves far too much work to do from scratch, and may traumatize beginning teachers of limmudei kodesh.

So I respectfully suggest the following: A mailing-list like this could
help solve the problem by posting a database with a variety of different curriculums (including Misrad ha-Hinnukh's) for Tanakh, dinim, gemara, etc. on various grade levels through high school, and then those in the "process" of curriculum development could choose the elements that best suite their needs from any or all of the available models.

Hope this helps.
Seth (Avi) Kadish
Amit Karmiel High School</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

Request for curricula

Rabbi Benjamin Kramer January 07, 1999 05:00AM

Tamarfried January 13, 1999 05:00AM

Esther Wein January 13, 1999 05:00AM

Hebrew Fonts

Tamar Friedman January 13, 1997 05:00AM

Re: Hebrew Fonts

Shalom Berger January 13, 1999 05:00AM

Hebrew fonts

Eli Birnbaum January 20, 1999 05:00AM

Re: Hebrew fonts

Mark Smilowitz April 12, 1999 04:00AM

Menachem Linzer April 14, 1999 04:00AM

Tamar Friedman January 13, 1999 05:00AM

Seth (Avi) Kadish January 13, 1999 05:00AM

Shalom Berger January 13, 1999 05:00AM

Elliott Kohn January 13, 1999 05:00AM

Elliott Kohn January 13, 1999 05:00AM

Barbara Freedman January 12, 1999 05:00AM

Sorkin January 13, 1999 05:00AM

Gerry Teller January 14, 1999 05:00AM

Gerry Teller January 14, 1999 05:00AM

Shalom Berger January 14, 1999 05:00AM

Elliott Kohn January 17, 1999 05:00AM

Rabbi Philip Russ January 13, 1999 05:00AM

Shalom Berger January 19, 1999 05:00AM

Tzvi Harris January 24, 1999 05:00AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character J defined in its font.