Re: Teaching Aliya
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

October 31, 2016 06:37PM
Shalom,

I am not a Yesh Atid voter- but I second Rabbi Lipman's about the importance of teaching aliyah to the future of the Jewish People (and to every individual Jew and family).

The mitzvah of aliyah is one of the central mitzvot of our Torah. Therefore, it has to be clearly taught to Jews throughout the world- and certainly to Jewish students in Jewish schools. Of course, I don't recommend a "fire and brimstone" approach to this or any other mitzvah. But just as it is unthinkable to not teach about Shabbat and Kashrut (even to students who may not yet observe these mitzvot), it should be unthinkable to not teach about aliyah. During my American day school career, I always taught that even if aliyah may not be an immediate possibility, it is important for it to always be the goal.

I can sadly report that this, as Rabbi Lipman writes, this approach is unfortunately not always expressed publicly. Two personal stories that back up his words....

I applied for a position in a school that advertised as "Religious Zionist." .... And was asked if I came would I agree to not speak about aliyah (I politely said that I would never agree to refrain from talking about aliyah or any other mitzvah). I applied for another position where I was asked by a board member, at an open meeting, about an article I published on Lookjed about the mission of Religious Zionist education. "Rabbi, you wrote that the goal should be for students who graduate to want to make aliyah. What if we want our children to support Israel, love Israel, visit Israel, but live here?" I was incredulous. I replied, "Not even as a goal? Not even as a dream? What happened to, 'Hatkivah- We have not lost our 2,000 year hope'- and all of our tefillot. Aliyah is part of the Torah. Israel is the future of the Jewish People."

But there are certainly strong pockets of aliyah education. I was fortunate enough to be the Head of Lower School at Fuchs Mizrachi School, where encouragement of aliyah is a key part of the curriculum-- and, therefore not surprisingly, there is a very high aliyah rate. When I served as Menahel of Torah Academy of Greater Philadelphia, I was also able to publicly and clearly teach that aliyah must be our goal. And indeed people made aliyah. Ultimately my last (and possibly most important) lesson to the students and families was when my family and I fulfilled our dream and made aliyah about 2 1/2 years ago.

I would encourage Jewish day school educators to teach - with love, respect, depth, honesty and passion - about the mitzvah of aliyah. I would encourage them to do so even when it is challenging-- just as educators have for generations taught about other mitzvot even when doing so "is complicated."

And I would encourage day school educators, when they are able, to themselves make aliyah. It's not just the most important lesson you'll teach your students and the ultimate example of leading by example. It's the most incredible gift you can give your family. (As noted above, about 2 1/2 years ago- just a few months short of 46- after dreaming of making aliyah for 40 years, I merited to make aliyah with my wife and 5 kids who then ranges from 8 months at 18 years of age. Baruch Hashem, all are happy and healthy--- and our regret is not having made aliyah sooner.)

Kol tuv,

(Rabbi) Shmuel Jablon
Efrat, Israel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2016 06:38PM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Teaching Aliya

Dov Lipman October 31, 2016 10:19AM

Shmuel Silberman October 31, 2016 10:21AM

Yitzchak Jacobs November 06, 2016 08:00AM

Shmuel Jablon October 31, 2016 06:37PM

Lisa Micley October 31, 2016 06:46PM

David Derovan November 07, 2016 10:20AM

Elisha Paul November 09, 2016 05:15PM

Shmuel Jablon November 16, 2016 05:06PM

Elisha Paul December 26, 2016 05:50PM

Joel Cohn November 07, 2016 08:22PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character N defined in its font.