Re: One topic day schools avoid
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

November 07, 2016 09:35AM
I believe that Beth Hait was "right on" with her concerns and that Yocheved Lindenbaum was, unfortunately, "right off" with her response. In fact, Ms. Lindenbaum's assertions that most "savvy" students get it anyway and that most students are basically ill-prepared for discussions of the Infinite are precisely the problem! If the teacher gives up on the students, then who is going to do the dirty work? I have had the good fortune of teaching Gap-year students in Israel )both young men and women) for almost a decade and I can tell you that , in my experience, when I ask a student in a private conversation: "If you could choose, what would be the one area of Judaism that you would like to spend time studying with me?", the almost invariable response is "God!"
Teaching "skills" without grounding the need for them in Emunah is an effort in futility. I think that teachers need to stop underestimating their students and need to go back to the drawing board to figure out how to do it right.
Kol Hakavod to Beth Hait for bringing this crisis to the forefront of our concerns!
Subject Author Posted

One topic day schools avoid

Alyssa Sonnenblick October 31, 2016 10:36AM

Yocheved Lindenbaum November 02, 2016 10:22AM

Shalom Carmy November 07, 2016 07:29AM

Norman Meskin November 07, 2016 09:35AM

Just a thought on God

Aharon E. Wexler November 14, 2016 09:21AM

Re: Just a thought on God

Russell Jay Hendel November 18, 2016 08:57AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character J defined in its font.