Re: Defining Modern Orthodoxy
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

December 27, 2016 10:09AM
My brother, a great teacher, wrote the following about non co-ed Modern Orthodox schools: "there is little discernible difference between their limudei kodesh curriculum and that of a more "yeshivish" variety. In general, I do not think that the limudei kodesh curriculum is the area to look at for what differentiates a Modern Orthodox education from the more "yeshivish" approach. It is the areas beyond Talmud Torah that begin to distinguish the two types of education."

I can think of many differences within the world of limmudei kodesh. 1) How broad is the curriculum? Is it almost exclusively Gemara or does it have significant amounts of Tanakh and/or Jewish Thought. 2) Do the Tanakh teachers distinguish between peshat and derash? 3) Do we assume that the Avot are flawless, that they have human emotions, or that they kept every jot of rabbinic law? 4) Do we interpret every aggada literally? 5) Do we assume that Hazal's science is accurate? 6) Do girls have opportunities to study Torah she'be'al peh. 7) To what degree does the education for girls focus on zeniut and motherhood? 8) Are we open to questions such as "Why do we not have to return lost objects to gentiles?" or "does Kiddushin imply that a husband owns his wife?" 9) Do we teach Jewish Thought as monolithic or as incorporating real debate? 10) Do we encourage the students to have their own opinion regarding such debates?

There are yeshiva high schools with Modern Orthodox students whose Judaic studies faculty are charedi or YU yeshivish so perhaps my brother refers to that phenomenon. In separate Modern Orthodox schools with Modern Orthodox teachers, the issues I raised will play out differently than in a charedi yeshiva.

Yitzchak Blau

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2016 10:10AM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Defining Modern Orthodoxy

Rabbi Avraham Glustein December 07, 2016 05:11PM

Jeff Kobrin December 12, 2016 04:18PM

Joshua Levisohn December 15, 2016 07:39PM

Jonathan Kroll December 19, 2016 07:46AM

Benjy Kramer December 19, 2016 06:08PM

Yaakov Blau December 22, 2016 07:36AM

Yitzchak Blau December 27, 2016 10:09AM

Yaakov Blau December 28, 2016 09:44AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character T defined in its font.