Re: Responding to students' hashkafa questions
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

February 01, 2017 08:00PM
Dear Shalom,

I was happy to read the numerous cogent responses of some very esteemed Jewish educators to the not so veiled critique of Jewish high schools in the diaspora.

Much of success in life comes from just showing up. I am flabbergasted by the lack of appreciation of just how big a victory it is for a school to successfully have a graduate take a gap year in Israel for a Jewish immersion experience prior to college for a year or even two.

I heard once that Rabbi Lenny Matanky supposedly tells students in his high school, "this is a five year program, 4 here and 1 in Israel after high school". Those of us who work in smaller cities where Jewish high school and a gap year in Israel are not always the norms can not take this for granted. We need to put in countless hours and much blood, sweat, and tears encouraging families to continue their Jewish education into high school and beyond.

Middle school students who continue in public school are less likely to maintain their Jewish education and affiliation than those who choose to continue their Jewish education in high school. It is like comparing buying lottery tickets to buying blue chip stocks. They both have risks involved but blue chips have way better chances of success than lottery tickets which although much cheaper are much less likely to provide a return on the investment.

If the only thing a Jewish high school accomplishes is getting a student to continue their Jewish education in Israel then we should all collectively say "Dayeinu","Halleluyah", and "Shehecheyanu".

Israel is God's home court and the same lofty ideas that fall on deaf ears and are often ignored as white noise in a diaspora high school classroom can suddenly become relevant and impactful when the same young person is more open to the intense Jewish influence of the avirah d'eretz yisrael that is machkim. It may also be that those ideas actually took root and laid dormant while in high school and started to blossom in Israel later on.

I can attest to this about myself. In high school my Principal often attempted to speak to us about deep meaningful ideas and to be honest it had little to no impact on me. There were just too many other compelling distractions competing for my attention.

This same Principal led a post high school Israel program which I attended solely because I wasn't interested in working hard at college so I took a gap year in Israel. Suddenly the same ideas that I found boring in high school became more interesting in Israel, especially those I chose to explore based on my own interests. I arrived in Israel that year interested in learning Torah for 10 minutes a day and I left Israel interested and able to study Torah for 10 hours a day.

In Israel, "Hirsch, Kook, and Soloveitchik" became names of meaningful spiritual guides to my less distracted and immature mind, instead of sounding as they had to my younger more immature ears like the names of partners in some law firm.

Dayeinu,

Elisha Paul
The Jewish High School of Connecticut

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2017 08:02PM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Responding to students' hashkafa questions

Norman Meskin January 29, 2017 09:24PM

Yitzchak Blau January 29, 2017 09:27PM

Zvi Grumet January 29, 2017 09:30PM

Chaya Sima Koenigsberg January 30, 2017 05:33PM

Russell Jay Hendel January 31, 2017 07:51AM

Shalom Z. Berger January 31, 2017 08:47AM

Prof. Yitzchok Levine January 31, 2017 02:32PM

Wallace Greene February 01, 2017 04:22PM

Elisha Paul February 01, 2017 08:00PM

Yitzchok Levine February 06, 2017 02:24PM

Tzvika Kanarek February 07, 2017 07:06AM

Pesach Sommer February 08, 2017 07:40PM

Yitzchok Levine February 19, 2017 07:18PM

Wallace Greene February 23, 2017 08:13AM

Shmuel Silberman March 01, 2017 09:03PM

Yitzchok Levine March 01, 2017 09:09PM

Yitzchak Blau March 02, 2017 08:53AM

Teacher training

Daphna Ansel March 18, 2017 08:22PM

Teacher training

Moshe Simkovich March 05, 2017 08:05PM

Teacher training

Elisha Paul March 05, 2017 08:09PM

Teacher training

Wallace Greene March 05, 2017 08:13PM

Teacher Licensing

Samuel Kapustin March 19, 2017 01:24PM

Shalom Carmy February 09, 2017 06:54AM

Shmuel Silberman February 09, 2017 08:38PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character B defined in its font.