When star students burn out
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

July 11, 2017 11:46AM
Let me start by saying that I am a High School Rebbe. Recently I have been giving a good deal of thought to how former students turn out years later. It seems to me that many (certainly not all) of the students who I, and often the school, thought of as "superstars" in terms of learning (which I know is not a rigorous definition) did not end up fulfilling the expectations we may have had for them to be ongoing "learners" as adults.

I would love to hear if other educators have had similar experiences. I have thought of 3 possible reasons why this might be true, but would love to hear other thoughts -
1] some people peak early in life and having too much expected of them early on might actually work against long term development
2] we often don't see the full picture of who a student is beyond the classroom and if we knew who the student was overall, we might have had a different impression even initially
3] possibly people who are "superstars" in limudei kodesh are often also the same way in math, history etc and it was never realistic to think that they would equally pursue each discipline, so as long as they do well later in life in one area, that was all that we really should have expected.

Yaakov Blau
Subject Author Posted

Yaakov Blau July 11, 2017 11:46AM

Re: When star students burn out

Abie Zayit July 26, 2017 12:23AM

Sasson Gabbai August 14, 2017 10:47PM

Russell Jay Hendel August 17, 2017 02:50PM

Nachum Amsel September 24, 2017 09:59AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character 7 defined in its font.