Re: When star students burn out
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

September 24, 2017 09:59AM
Shalom,

I am way behind in my Lookjed reading and for that I apologize. I am writing in response to Russel Handel's post in August about a course in Yeshiva of Flatbush ("the leadership at Yeshiva of Flatbush developed a Hashkafa (World-view) course in which these issues were discussed”).

When I ran a Seminary I developed two new courses. One was "Da Ma Shetashiv" specifically for those not going to YU or Touro who would come in contact for the first time with many non-Jews and Jews who were Jewish illiterate. It was also for future YU/Stern/Touro graduates who will eventually be asked these questions in the workplace. I gave the students a list of over 100 topics and they selected most of them (some I Davka thought it important to teach. The second course was a Jewish Leadership course to learn sources about leadership and as well as techniques. It was mostly to give students a feel of Achrayut – that after 13 years of leaning they have an obligation on campus to "give back" (This while many one year Yeshivas or Seminaries are telling their student not to even talk to non-Orthodox on campus).

If anyone wants the syllabi and materials for these courses, please contact me offline and I will be happy to share.

Wishing you and all Lookjeders a healthy and meaningful year.

Nachum
Rabbi Dr. Nachum Amsel
Director of Education, Destiny Foundation
Subject Author Posted

When star students burn out

Yaakov Blau July 11, 2017 11:46AM

Abie Zayit July 26, 2017 12:23AM

Sasson Gabbai August 14, 2017 10:47PM

Russell Jay Hendel August 17, 2017 02:50PM

Nachum Amsel September 24, 2017 09:59AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character 3 defined in its font.