A high school senior’s perspective on modern Orthodoxy
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

October 25, 2017 11:30AM
In the context of the recent discussion about “The Nishma Research Profile of American Modern Orthodox Jews” I would like to point out a scathing opinion piece, whose author, a high school senior, argues that day schools (among others) have failed the current generation.

He writes:
<<
Modern Orthodox teenagers can tell you who Kobe, Jay Z, or even Shakespeare is, but very few will know R’ Chaim Kanievsky or R’ Herschel Shachter. We’ll know the history of America in depth, but won’t know how the State of Israel was established. We’ll know how to solve complex math equations, but wouldn’t be able to read a simple mishnah. We are infested with American culture, and forget our past. We care about world values, and neglect our own. We care more about Western morals than the true morals of the Torah. We are high school students before talmidim. We are aspiring sports players before yearning Talmud scholars. We are college graduates before yeshiva bachurim. We are Modern before Orthodox.
>>

See the article here - [blogs.timesofisrael.com]

I have some thoughts on the matter, and I wonder what my colleagues have to say.

Abie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2017 11:31AM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Abie Zayit October 25, 2017 11:30AM

Re: A high school senior’s perspective on modern Orthodoxy

Moshe Simkovich October 26, 2017 06:10AM

Perry Tirschwell October 30, 2017 08:17AM

Shmuel Silberman November 01, 2017 07:33PM

Sasson Gabbai November 05, 2017 07:47AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character M defined in its font.