Re: A high school senior’s perspective on modern Orthodoxy
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

November 01, 2017 07:33PM
Eitan Gross is basically frustrated by "MO lite"- people who affiliate with modern orthodoxy but have at best a tepid commitment to orthodox doctrines and practices. (Perry Tirschwell points out "charedi lite" exists too). The usual polemics on this topic are well known: Opponents of modern orthodoxy blame modern orthodoxy itself, while MO proponents insist their ideology cannot be blamed for people who don't live it in practice. Either way these polemics don't help students who are what they are and see no reason to jump ship.

I teach an elective course called Ultimate Issues, which is basically a Why Be Jewish class. I have not read or conducted a survey of religious alienation among MO youth, but I focus on what I think are barriers to observance. Prior to taking the course, students are not aware of Ramchal's teaching that Hashem created the world to give us pleasure. They have not thought about the idea that Torah is given to us because of His love, that our service of G-d is for our benefit, not His. They lack clarity on the point that G-d's perfection means that He does things without ulterior motives (pure altruism). They have not inferred that His oneness means everything they experience is an attempt by G-d to bring them closer to a love relationship. The idea of Judaism as a love story between Hashem and Israel is not explicit for them. The idea of Torah as a guide to ultimate pleasure is a chidush to those used to thinking of Halacha as burdensome or of G-d as bossy, grouchy and intrusive.

They are used to thinking of personal interests and G-d's interests as being basically in conflict, and have not learned how to break down the imagined dichotomy. No one sends extra money to the IRS to show love; we pay the IRS so we can get them off our back. Many people see religion as like a tax system: if I give Hashem 25 cents I am out 25 cents. There is a fear of commitment based on the perception that one stands to lose out, not win.

I don't think these ideas can only be taught in a systematic course, but I do think that unless students are aware of them their religious commitment is at risk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 07:34PM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

A high school senior’s perspective on modern Orthodoxy

Abie Zayit October 25, 2017 11:30AM

Moshe Simkovich October 26, 2017 06:10AM

Perry Tirschwell October 30, 2017 08:17AM

Shmuel Silberman November 01, 2017 07:33PM

Sasson Gabbai November 05, 2017 07:47AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character V defined in its font.