Re: Sarah Schnirer's Diary
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

January 02, 2018 07:06AM
In response to Leah Perl Shollar's query about sarah schneirer -

This past summer I went on a tour of Poland with the amazing scholar Rabbi Dr. Shnair Leiman and we visited SS's kever. We learned so much about her life project and her personal history. According to Rabbi Leiman, the diary was purchased by a wealthy American Jew who wanted to publish it but was instructed by rabbanim NOT to do so as some of her progressive ideas, hashkafot and opinions would not earn her a place as a mechanechet in the Bais Yaakov school system nowadays.

Dr. Leiman knows so much about her. He was the person who discovered her place of burial in the destroyed new cemetery in Krakow which was turned into the Plaszow labor camp (depicted in the movie Schindler's List) and worked hard to erect a new matzeiva for her. He can give you the details of where the diary is now, but I am not sure it is accessible.

Here is a video clip I took at the kever where Dr. Leiman tells her story. I don't think it has a reference to the diary in this particular clip but it is totally worth listening to. He told us about her diary later, on the bus in response to people's questions. He might have knowledge of what is in her diary. You can email him, but I am not sure how soon you will hear back from him. He is the number one authority on the topic of Sarah Schenirer. Hatzlacha.

Sincerely,

תמר פרידמן
מנהלת המחלקה ליהדות ועברית
Tamar Friedman
Director of Judaic Studies
[hilleltorah.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 07:07AM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Sarah Schnirer's Diary

Leah Perl Shollar December 24, 2017 06:50PM

Alyssa Sonnenblick December 31, 2017 11:54AM

Tamar Friedman January 02, 2018 07:06AM

Profesor Yitzchok Levine January 04, 2018 02:42PM

Jeremiah Unterman January 04, 2018 08:51PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character K defined in its font.