Re: A survey of Yeshiva high school graduates
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

February 06, 2018 03:18PM
I was a little surprised by Rav Yaakov Blau's comment in response to Rav Grumet's survey.

He said " If someone comes from a home where the parents do not think that being shomer negiah is a value, I think it's unrealistic to think that the school will convince them otherwise. The same holds true for issues of dogma. Before concluding that schools need to put effort into teaching dogma, I think a study need to be done to see if what they are teaching is in sync with the message from home."

Unless I'm misunderstanding what he's saying, he seems to be suggesting that we not teach ideas which are not in line with what our students hear at home, or at the very least that that we hesitate to do so. Isn't that the role of a teacher to try and help our students think through ideas which might challenge some of their assumptions, particularly when those ideas are essential parts of Jewish traditional thought? While I acknowledge the difficulties of moving students past preconceived notions, we need to try our best.
Subject Author Posted

A survey of Yeshiva high school graduates

Zvi Grumet January 30, 2018 01:13PM

Yaakov Blau January 30, 2018 01:18PM

Pesach Sommer February 06, 2018 03:18PM

yaakov blau February 07, 2018 02:12AM

Michael Berger February 01, 2018 10:36AM

Yaakov Bieler February 01, 2018 10:41AM

Abie Zayit February 04, 2018 06:37AM

Zvi Grumet February 07, 2018 06:57PM

Russell Jay Hendel February 12, 2018 06:44AM

Discussion of the validity of recent research surveys on the Orthodox Jewish Community

Shalom Z. Berger February 24, 2018 05:58PM

Re: Discussion of the validity of recent research surveys on the Orthodox Jewish Community

Zvi Grumet February 24, 2018 06:01PM

Re: Discussion of the validity of recent research surveys on the Orthodox Jewish Community

Elisha Paul February 24, 2018 06:04PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character W defined in its font.