Midot- a firm standard?
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Midot- a firm standard?

February 18, 2018 05:08PM
One of the foremost values in Jewish education is the focus of "midot." We constantly hear of the importance of character, behavior and the importance of being a proper role model both in one's personal and communal life.

That is why I was surprised and somewhat taken aback, perhaps naively so, believing that Jewish leaders and educators actually believe and follow the principle of honoring role models whose "midot" are to be admired and emulated by our youth. The surprise came in seeing an announcement by the National Council of Young Israel (NCYI) that they will be having a dinner to celebrate 70 years of the State of Israel, with the "Guest of Honor and Guest Speaker" being Anthony Scaramucci. While Scaramucci may have many positive attributes, it would be a stretch for any parent to say that his "bein adam l'chavero" behavior and the language he uses in his interactions in this regard is something to emulate. But, despite this, the NCYI will be "honoring" Scaramucci, and the many rabbis and communal leaders whose names appear on the announcement will be part of that.

Do the Torah values of this Orthodox Jewish organization get checked at the door for political expediency? What does a YI rabbi who serves as a "co-sponsor" of this event say to a young person who asks if the NCYI is saying that midot can be set aside when one's personal, political or financial interest is at play? At best, it would appear that there is inconsistency between what Jewish education preaches and what Jewish organizations actually practice. At worst, this is hypocrisy and self-interests pushing aside what we teach and creating a "do as I say, not as I do" culture. Is there no other person other than Anthony Scaramucci whom the NCYI can find that represents the "celebration" of the 70 years of the State of Israel?

In considering the behavior and standards we wish for our youth, we should also look to the model of behavior we set for them. When we teach one set of standards and then practice a different set, we should not be surprised that young people, who generally see things differently than their parents, take a cynical view of what was taught. I wonder what the educators in this list would say to their students when asked about this behavior. Will it be excused away or will it be tackled head on as it should, with a respectful but unmistakable message that it is simply unacceptable?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2018 05:09PM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Midot- a firm standard?

Yitzhak Mansdorf February 18, 2018 05:08PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character C defined in its font.