Current events in Israel
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Current events in Israel

May 15, 2018 11:07AM
Just when I thought I had gotten through the "Yoms" successfully...

Today I was overwhelmed with the enormity of what is happening in Israel. Reading the front page of the New York Times online offered no less than eight stories and editorials about Israel - the American embassy move, the death toll in Gaza and the relationship between them. All of them paint Israel in a negative light.

I am talking to my students about these issues in class, and wonder what others are doing.

Are these topics for discussion in day school Jewish studies classes whose focus is on specific topics (meaning, do you talk about current events in Israel in Humash class or Navi class)?

If you do talk about it, what kind of source material do you use when leading such a discussion?

I am always nervous about presenting Israel as a dangerous place when talking to high school students. How can I best offer balance between showing Israel as a growing, prosperous country and a place where young men (and women) must serve in an army that needs to defend its borders from terror organizations.

Thanks for listening.

Alyssa
Subject Author Posted

Current events in Israel

Alyssa Sonnenblick May 15, 2018 11:07AM

Re: Current events in Israel

Meshulam Gotlieb May 16, 2018 06:17PM

Re: Current events in Israel

Shalom Z. Berger May 24, 2018 06:40AM

Author:

Subject:

banner class does not have character Y defined in its font.