Re: Current events in Israel
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

May 24, 2018 06:40AM
While it is true that headline articles in the New York Times initially condemned Israel, just a day later several op-eds appeared that offered a more nuanced perspective. Students should learn that they need to watch for the second day’s news, as well, and should be encouraged to write to their own local newspapers (or on their twitter accounts, etc.) supporting an alternative perspective.

Here is one case where someone actually went to protest a misleading front page and was given the opportunity to respond in an op-ed in the newspaper – [jewishweek.timesofisrael.com]

For examples of different perspectives offered in the New York Times, see -

Gaza’s Miseries Have Palestinian Authors - [www.nytimes.com]

Falling for Hamas’s Split-Screen Fallacy - [www.nytimes.com]

Israel Needs to Protect Its Borders. By Whatever Means Necessary - [www.nytimes.com]

In some cases, public apologies were offered for publicizing a false narrative, as in this case -

I said Israel should be ashamed – now I am the one who is ashamed - [www.thejc.com]

We have to keep in mind that there is a spate of complaints coming from high school graduates who claim that their Jewish high schools gave them a one-sided, rose-colored perspective on Israel, so it is important to confirm the challenges that Israel faces and the efforts that it makes to maintain high levels of ethics and morality in the face of those challenges (I write this as my son continues to guard the border with Gaza while serving in Golani. Based on everything he has told me, Israeli soldiers do all they can to avoid casualties on the other side).

Shalom

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2018 06:42AM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Current events in Israel

Alyssa Sonnenblick May 15, 2018 11:07AM

Meshulam Gotlieb May 16, 2018 06:17PM

Shalom Z. Berger May 24, 2018 06:40AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character U defined in its font.