Re: Discussion topic: Learning what to love
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

July 08, 2018 05:44AM
I think there is a lot of truth to this statement - it also echoes the Maya Angelou oft-quoted sentiment: "I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." I think that the growth of experiential learning with yeshiva day schools is evidence of trying to create Jewish experiences, along with emotional connections which is viewed and invested in as a cornerstone of what our yeshivot offer. It is however, complimentary and not supplementary! The value of active learning has also made gains on the academic front. We all see significant growth of inquiry based learning, authentic assessments, student voice and choice all reflect a fuller value of student engagement rather than just a cerebral exchange of information and skills. These initiatives all highlight the need to find and encourage spaces for self reflection, person to text connections, and something more intangible than content and skill. I am curious however what it means to teach love - to model love I get - to create opportunities for bonding experiences (even in an academic setting) is not difficult to imagine. However, to teach love is more amorphous.

CB
Subject Author Posted

Discussion topic: Learning what to love

Meshulam Gotlieb July 05, 2018 12:32PM

Yaakov Blau July 08, 2018 05:42AM

Chaya Neugroschl July 08, 2018 05:44AM

Jon A. Levisohn July 09, 2018 07:22PM

Elisha Paul July 09, 2018 07:25PM

Yaakov Bieler July 09, 2018 07:30PM

Moshe Drelich July 12, 2018 09:55AM

Tzvika Kanarek July 17, 2018 07:02AM

Transmitting our Vision to the Next Generation

Aaron Ross July 17, 2018 07:03AM

Russell Jay Hende July 31, 2018 10:06PM

Author:

Subject:

banner class does not have character U defined in its font.