Re: On teaching Hebrew
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

January 13, 2019 10:21AM
Although this does not relate directly to the discussion of teaching Hebrew that I raised as a “Lookjed Classic” last week – [listserv.biu.ac.il] – it does highlight how direct interest in language can spur a student to study and excel (and it also serves to highlight Professor Robert Alter’s amazing achievement of producing a new English translation of all Tanakh).

"After More Than Two Decades of Work, a New Hebrew Bible to Rival the King James:
The pre-eminent scholar Robert Alter has finally finished his own translation"

[www.nytimes.com]?
<<
Alter came to Hebrew, like many an American Jewish child, somewhat haphazardly — first in traditional contexts, like bar mitzvah lessons but also in Hebrew-only summer camps of the period. The cultural record of American Jews, in literature and art, can be summarized as a collective complaint against parental demands to learn Hebrew, but Alter took to it immediately and chose to continue his studies, even while playing varsity football and running track. As a young man, Alter was so enamored with the language that he spent much of his time systematically mastering a Hebrew-Hebrew dictionary. “I figured if I could get everything from that book into my head, I’d have it,” Alter said.
>>

Enjoy!
Shalom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2019 10:22AM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

On teaching Hebrew

Shalom Z. Berger January 13, 2019 10:08AM

Shalom Z. Berger January 13, 2019 10:21AM

Larry Kobrin January 13, 2019 10:23AM

Hebrew/English sound changes & idiom formation

Israel A. Cohen January 13, 2019 10:25AM

Elisha Paul January 13, 2019 10:27AM

Dania Shapira January 15, 2019 09:37AM

Jeremiah Unterman January 15, 2019 09:32AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character D defined in its font.