Re: On teaching Hebrew
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

January 13, 2019 10:21AM
Although this does not relate directly to the discussion of teaching Hebrew that I raised as a “Lookjed Classic” last week – [listserv.biu.ac.il] – it does highlight how direct interest in language can spur a student to study and excel (and it also serves to highlight Professor Robert Alter’s amazing achievement of producing a new English translation of all Tanakh).

"After More Than Two Decades of Work, a New Hebrew Bible to Rival the King James:
The pre-eminent scholar Robert Alter has finally finished his own translation"

[www.nytimes.com]?
<<
Alter came to Hebrew, like many an American Jewish child, somewhat haphazardly — first in traditional contexts, like bar mitzvah lessons but also in Hebrew-only summer camps of the period. The cultural record of American Jews, in literature and art, can be summarized as a collective complaint against parental demands to learn Hebrew, but Alter took to it immediately and chose to continue his studies, even while playing varsity football and running track. As a young man, Alter was so enamored with the language that he spent much of his time systematically mastering a Hebrew-Hebrew dictionary. “I figured if I could get everything from that book into my head, I’d have it,” Alter said.
>>

Enjoy!
Shalom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2019 10:22AM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

On teaching Hebrew

Shalom Z. Berger January 13, 2019 10:08AM

Shalom Z. Berger January 13, 2019 10:21AM

Larry Kobrin January 13, 2019 10:23AM

Hebrew/English sound changes & idiom formation

Israel A. Cohen January 13, 2019 10:25AM

Elisha Paul January 13, 2019 10:27AM

Dania Shapira January 15, 2019 09:37AM

Jeremiah Unterman January 15, 2019 09:32AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator