Israeli politics
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Israeli politics

January 26, 1999 05:00AM
<HTML>I have had the opportunity to work with many high school juniors,
seniors and recent grads on Israel related topics and am always amazed at their severe lack of knowledge of the political structure in Israel. I would say that most of the students that I encountered are unaware of Israeli political institutions, major (certainly small) political parties and the major players in Israeli politics. I am saddened by a story I heard last year that a class of girls at Stern College failed to correctly answer the question of who was the first Prime Minister of the State of Israel. The most popular answer given was Menachem Begin.

I am currently brainstorming for a creative way to (formally or
informally) teach about the political structure, party platforms and
personalities in Israel. I think that since the next 4 months will be full of election news it is a good opportunity to teach these subjects in an interesting manner. Does anybody have a articular method - Some ideas I have been thinking about:

1) Mock Knesset - Print out cards detailing party platforms and major personalities. Have students learn their platforms and have internal votes for party lists. Have the number #1 on each list explain their party to the larger group, then disband individual groups - have one big group vote per their conscience and attempt to form government. Experiment with cabinet meetings and full Knesset votes. Have students grapple with social/economic/political/religious issues.

2) Create your own op ed piece(s) and teach about the political scene through them. This has the advantage of tailor making these articles/headlines/ to fit the audience and allows clear and lucid presentation of facts.

3) Take actual opinion articles or headlines and use them to teach. I have found taking a controversial article (such as a Zev Chaifetz article in the Jerusalem Report) really makes for a lively discussion.

4) Teach about these events through pictures - pictures are very effective and are usually remembered. Pictures of political candidates, unrest in the community, demonstrations. Political ads are particularly effective.

5) Approach the subject via the back door and instead of discussing parties and candidates, discuss issues that are dividing these parties and the disparate interest groups (religious,Russian,Arab).

Any comments/ideas would be appreciated

David Tesler
dtesler@netvision.net.il</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

Israeli politics

David Tesler January 26, 1999 05:00AM

Re: Israeli politics

Dina Greene January 28, 1999 05:00AM

Moshe Sokolow January 28, 1999 05:00AM

Aaron Ross February 04, 1999 05:00AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character D defined in its font.