Re: Israeli politics
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

January 28, 1999 05:00AM
<HTML>This is in response to David Tesler's entry about teaching Israeli
politics. I agree, it is important for American Jewish students
to be familiar with and understand the Israeli political system.
Personally, aside from Yom Haatzmaut and Yom Yerushalayim celebrations, and a 12th grade Zionism course, the schools I attended never focused on this subject matter, and I think most American Jewish day schools probably still do not. At the very least, there are some very pressing issues that are at hand, from the peace-for-land controversy, to friction between different Jewish factions, which are important considerations for Jews everywhere, whether we live in Israel or not. I found all of his ideas of how to relate this information to students to be useful educational tools. I particularly liked the suggestion of a mock Knesset. This would be a very effective teaching method, since it is very interactive and creative, and will help the students to really think about the issues, a focus that is often lost in our day school system. What's more, it is a current events topic, so students will be able to continue learning about the political
system every time they pick up a newspaper at home.

I would suggest making it a formal part of a curriculum, expanding the course to a year-long syllabus and entitling it "Modern Israeli History and Politics". It can begin with a brief history of Zionism, and should include the influences of other aspects of modern Israel, including:

- geographic changes in the country's boundaries,

- demographics/immigrant influx,

- a focus on the legislative, executive and religious (Beit Din)/ judicial arms of the government, insert here the mock Knesset project and an analysis of some important personality profiles who have helped shape the modern political State of Israel.

I'd be interested to know if people think this is plausible.

Dina Greene</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

Israeli politics

David Tesler January 26, 1999 05:00AM

Dina Greene January 28, 1999 05:00AM

Moshe Sokolow January 28, 1999 05:00AM

Aaron Ross February 04, 1999 05:00AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character E defined in its font.