Re: Israeli politics
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

January 28, 1999 05:00AM
<HTML>1. I agree that our students should be acquainted with the concept of "proportional representation" and know the names and political philosophies of the major parties and all the religious parties. The Public Information bureau of the Israeli Consulate published an excellent booklet prior to the previous elections--why not consult with them? However, with 30 parties now declared for the coming elections, I am sure that the average
Israeli cannot name them all--or care to for that matter--so why burden American students with it?

2. I also think that it is appropriate, in this context, to begin to make our students aware of the fundamental difference(s) between the exercise f religious freedom in America and in Israel--namely, the exercise of religion in the PUBLIC/ NATIONAL domain, which, while anathema to American
democracy, is very much the norm in Israel (as it is with the Islamic religion in Arab/Muslim countries). Questions of Shabbat and Kashrut (or marriage and conversion) are vastly different when considered from the individual perspective and the national perspective.

3. I have taught at Stern College and the anecdote you relate is unfair and untrue. Since the majority of Stern students have spent a year in Israel, they would have to have been cloistered to be so completely ignorant of the current Prime Minister .

4. re: "Mock Keneset" One does not have to mock the Keneset, it does an admirable job itself. The "divrei ha-Keneset" (=Congressional Record) cannot be read by anyone dedicated to shemirat ha-lashon, let alone concerned with nivul peh.

Keep up the good work!
Moshe</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

Israeli politics

David Tesler January 26, 1999 05:00AM

Dina Greene January 28, 1999 05:00AM

Moshe Sokolow January 28, 1999 05:00AM

Aaron Ross February 04, 1999 05:00AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character N defined in its font.