Re: Women and Talmud study
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

August 20, 2015 08:35AM
Rabbi Nati Helfgot thoughtfully supplied me with the text of Rav Soloveitchik's strongly worded letter supporting the inclusion of Talmud study in the curriculum for both boys and girls.

Rabbi Leonard Rosenfeld
c/o Rabbi Leo Jung
210 West 90 Street
New York 24, NY

May 27, 1953

Dear Rabbi Rosenfeld:

Please accept my apologies for not answering your letters sooner. The delay was due to my overcrowded schedule. As to your question with regard to a curriculum in as coeducational school, I expressed my opinion to you long ago that it would be a very regrettable oversight on our part of we were to arrange separate Hebrew courses for girls. Not only is the teaching of Torah she-be-al-peh to girls permissible but it is nowadays an absolute imperative. This policy of discrimination between the sexes as to the subject matter and method of instruction which is still advocated by certain groups within our Orthodox community has contributed greatly to the deterioration and downfall of traditional Judaism. Boys and girls alike should be introduced into the inner halls of Torah she-be-al–peh.

I hope to prepare in the near future a halakhic brief on the problem which will exhaust the various aspects of the same. In the meantime I heartily endorse a uniform program for the entire student body.

With kindest personal regards, I remain
Sincerely yours,
Joseph Soloveitchik

~~~~

For a discussion of this matter by my colleague, Jeffrey Woolf (including the above letter and a photograph of Rav Soloveitchik teaching a Talmud class in Stern college in the company of Rabbis Saul Berman and Mordechai Willig), see [myobiterdicta.blogspot.co.il]

Shalom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2015 08:36AM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Women and Talmud study

Shalom Berger August 20, 2015 08:31AM

Rivka Kahan August 20, 2015 08:33AM

Shalom Berger August 20, 2015 08:35AM

Ephraim Halivni August 24, 2015 06:44AM

Shalom Berger September 08, 2015 09:26AM

Yoatzot Halakha

Jeffrey Zuckerman September 08, 2015 09:33AM

Re: Yoatzot Halakha

Atara Eis October 06, 2015 05:17PM

Re: Yoatzot Halakha

Naomi Marmon Grumet October 08, 2015 11:43AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character F defined in its font.