Determining school policy by means of social media
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

January 14, 2016 05:00PM
I wonder about the recent publicity on social media about carrying a Sefer Torah through the women's section in school. The story: "At Modern Orthodox School, Two Girls Fight for Right to Carry the Torah" appeared in Haaretz
[www.haaretz.com] and in other online newspapers and websites.

In this forum I am not weighing in on the merits of having students of both sexes carry a Sefer Torah (although I would be interested in hearing the thoughts of others). Rather I am questioning whether the method that is being used is appropriate.

It appears to me that what took place initially at this school is totally reasonable. Students approached the school administration with a question that was turned over to the school's halachik authority, who indicated that it was an administrative decision that should be based on the needs and concerns of the school community. At this point, if the students are unhappy they have many options to work within the system, or, ultimately, to choose to attend a school that is more attuned to their needs if unsatisfied.

Is it healthy to make use of national and international media to coerce the school administration to make the "politically correct" decision that may not be right for the local community?

Eliana
Subject Author Posted

Alyssa Sonnenblick January 14, 2016 05:00PM

Re: Determining school policy by means of social media

Gidon Rothstein January 18, 2016 03:05PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character 9 defined in its font.