Re: Should smart kids be using laptops in class?
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

May 23, 2016 06:34AM
Despite being a major proponent of technology use within Jewish day schools, I am unsurprised by the findings in this study. Technology, like any other implement or instrument, is a tool. When students are permitted access to it without it having been judiciously built into the classroom environment for a clear purpose, it is sure to be misused and cause distraction. In classrooms where students have had unfettered access to Chromebooks or iPads I have certainly seen a great deal of time wasted on game-playing and messaging one another. (Incidentally, this seems to happen more frequently on the iPad than on the Chromebooks, perhaps due to the association many students have with an iPad being an entertainment device).

There is a model called SAMR which demonstrates the different ways in which technology may be harnessed in the current technology-rich environment. S stands for "substitution" where the technology directly substitutes for a more traditional tool. An example of this might be taking notes via the app Notability on an iPad rather than taking notes within a notebook. A stands for "augmentation" where a task is changed but not totally transformed via the technology. An example of this might be having students use Google Docs so that the two of them can collaborate, something that can certainly be done in person or over the phone with a physical handout but which is easier to do via a Google Doc. M stands for "modification" where a task has been significantly changed from the way it would be performed traditionally. An example of this might be the collaborative creation of a timeline via an app like Trello where students can link in primary sources, historical documents or YouTube videos of major events. Such a timeline could be created by hand, the pictures printed out, the YouTube videos available via QR code printouts, but the Trello option makes it more accessible. Finally, there is "Redefinition" where a task simply couldn't exist without technology. An example of this might be the editing and redubbing of animated film clips with a storyline from Tanakh. This task would not be possible without the use of iMovie or similar apps.

While there is a time and a place for all of the elements of SAMR to be harnessed within the Judaic Studies classroom, I have seen the most success with the M & R parts of the process. It seems to me that a case can be made for students to take notes by hand within notebooks (if within a discussion-oriented or lecture-style classroom) as handwritten notes are better than typed notes when it comes to learning and recalling information. Students should then be instructed to take out their Chromebooks or iPads when there is a specific element of course instruction that requires it and where the benefit/ value outweighs the possible distraction factor. This might be a situation where a class is Skyping with someone in a different location, students are working together via a Google Doc that contains linked media not accessible on paper handouts, or students are being assessed through creation of a Prezi, website, infographic or other tech project. If it is clear to the student exactly what they ought to be doing and why they ought to be doing it, and in what way the technology they are being asked to use adds benefit, I find them to be more successful in using it properly.

There are, of course, exceptional students who have the maturity to use their devices properly- or at least, productively- even without this guidance. But based on my personal experiences, for the vast majority of students, technology being used as a tool in order to complete a specific task allows for the students to be more successful with it than having open access all the time. That having been said, some schools believe there is value in allowing students unfettered access because they will likely have this within their college and work environments and thus, in theory, they need to learn how to manage their time even with all these distractions. Thus, there are paperless classrooms where everything is set up via Google Docs and Haiku (or another Learning Management System) and students perform every task, from note-taking to homework to assessments, via technology. I will admit to having run such classrooms and then pulled back from them. The maturity level of the class, their interest in the subject, and their self-motivation inform my decision as to whether to proceed with a paperless classroom or not. In some classes I find that it can work but in others, especially with incoming students (9th graders) who are still mastering study skills, I find that it is a recipe for disaster.

Thus, to sum up, when using technology within the classroom consider:
- Why are you using it? What value/ benefit does it add that a traditional method does not?
- What is the proper amount of technology to incorporate to ensure it is an asset rather than detrimental? (Consider your class's maturity, grade level, motivation, social dynamics etc)
-What helpful skills are you teaching the students by having them perform this assignment/ assessment with these particular technology tools? Are these skills that can be applied to other aspects of the student's life beyond the classroom? (The answer should almost always be yes.)

Technology can be a guidebook or a map; it is not the destination.

Thanks,
Olivia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2016 06:34AM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Should smart kids be using laptops in class?

Shalom Z. Berger May 23, 2016 06:32AM

Olivia Friedman May 23, 2016 06:34AM

sholomeisenstat@gmail.com May 25, 2016 04:11PM

Tzvi Pittinsky June 01, 2016 09:34AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character P defined in its font.