Re: Discussion topic: Rabbi and General Studies Principal
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

July 15, 2016 12:02PM
I cannot imagine why anyone would think that someone with real university degrees and educational credentials along with the title rabbi could not ipso facto be able to supervise secular studies. Would anyone think that a talmid hakham with a doctorate could not supervise Torah studies?

I must admit that I am surprised that Modern Orthodox yeshivot still have the position of Principal of General Studies. A yovel ago, the rabbi with no secular education hired a Principal of General Studies to assure the parents that the school was indeed going to prepare its students in secular studies. Nowadays, haredi yeshivot hire a Principal of General Studies to reassure its rebbeim that they are not expected to take note of the importance of secular studies. But what by logic would a Modern Orthodox Yeshivah that would not hire a Principal of Math and Science Studies think of hiring a Principal of General Studies.

The Principal (not the Rosh Yeshivah, who sets overall policy and community relations) is the educational CEO of the total school and all teachers must report to him or her (and anyone with the title Principal should reflect all the religious and educational values of the yeshivah). A large school might have associate principals who share in the total supervision of the school while focusing primarily on some discipline, be it Math and Science or General Studies. Chairmen focus exclusively on some discipline; while some public schools sometimes call them Assistant Principals, no one would think of calling them Principals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2016 12:04PM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Discussion topic: Rabbi and General Studies Principal

Maury Grebenau July 15, 2016 11:30AM

Jack Bieler July 15, 2016 11:58AM

Joel B. Wolowelsky July 15, 2016 12:02PM

Maury Grebenau July 24, 2016 07:14AM

Eliot Feldman July 25, 2016 06:17AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character F defined in its font.