Re: Recommendations for Day School SIddurs and Textbook
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

July 19, 2016 06:28AM
In 1998, I gave a lecture at Drexel University advocating use of the Rambam’s approach to prayer (Tefillah, Chapter 1) as a means of making it relevant. I combined the Rambam’s approach with Rav Hirsch’s approach in his essay “Shmoneh Esray” which you can find as a standalone essay or in his collected works (Feldheim).

Let me give some background. The background on Rambam is easy. Rambam presents the view that each blessing is a chapter heading to a group of needs. Therefore, individuals should feel free to augment the blessing with personal items related to that group. As a simple example, if you know someone is sick, you can pray for that particular person when you say the blessing “Refa’aynu” which is the blessing for healing.

I have heard legal opinions that one should not add to the blessings except for sick people. But everyone agrees you can mentally pray extra in each blessing (if you have a personal item).

The background on Rav Hirsch deals with the Talmudic dictum that the prayers correspond to the Temple offerings. Most approach this dictum in terms of *whole* numbers. For example, if on Saturdays we offer an extra offering, the Musaf offering, then there is an extra prayer. Rav Hirsch says the dictum applies to *parts* of prayers. For example, the first organ brought up on the altar in the daily offering is the head, corresponding to the 1st of the middle blessings, which is the blessing for understanding. Similarly, the 6th of the organs brought up is the stomach and indeed the 6th of the middle blessings is the supplication for livelihood (to have what to eat).

In the class I gave at Drexel I suggested that people mention some daily problems they have – with children, with their jobs, with friends, spouses etc. – and then the class decided where to classify each problem pointing to a potential additional prayer. Answers were not always unique. How, for example, do you deal with mischievous children? Do you pray for understanding them (1st of middle blessings) or for the capacity to get them to repent and change (2nd of middle blessings) or the capacity to forgive them (3rd of the middle blessings).

I believe this type of exercise very worthwhile especially for understanding relevance in prayers.

Hope this is helpful

Russell Jay Hendel; Ph.D., A.S.A., www.Rashiyomi.com/ RHendel@Towson.Edu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2016 06:29AM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Recommendations for Day School SIddurs and Textbook

Ira Budow July 15, 2016 12:08PM

Russell Jay Hendel July 19, 2016 06:28AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character H defined in its font.