Re: Bookjed review: Torah and Western Thought: Intellectual Portraits of Orthodoxy and Modernity
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Bookjed review: Torah and Western Thought: Intellectual Portraits of Orthodoxy and Modernity

September 02, 2016 06:13AM
While I am flattered by an educator of Rabbi Bieler's level responding to my review, I am a little perplexed by some of what he wrote. Rabbi Bieler suggests that I respond with "antipathy" to the goal of bridging the two worlds. While he does not know me and thus would not know how incorrect his accusation is, nothing in my review leads to the reasonable conclusion that I have antipathy for such an approach. On the contrary, I very much value such an approach and live it in my life. The fact that I think that it is not necessarily the best programmatic charge for our community in America shows no antipathy, but rather, as I pointed out, that most people in the community seem to not find such an approach to speak to them.

Additionally, Rabbi Bieler suggests that I speak "disparagingly" having noted that nine of the ten thinkers are not alive. Honestly, I am not even sure what that means. I am unsure how noting the fact of these individuals having died can be seen as disparaging them or what they stood for. Again, a fair reading of what I wrote will yield the conclusion that I have great respect for all of these individuals and the ideas which they represent. to be clear, I will explain what I intended with that comment. As Rav Amital zt"l wrote about what it means to follow in the legacy of Rav Kook, one must recognize that each generation needs its own approach to Torah, and the real way to learn from Rav Kook is to be willing to bravely come up with the new approach that the new generation requires. I note the passing of these individuals to emphasize the fact that our generation has few leaders who have stepped up to lead in this regard. While in Israel Rav Aharon zt"l and Rav Amital's talmidim have built upon their ideas, there is a very little of that going on in America. I note these things with no sense of glee. In fact they sadden me greatly. The vibrancy of creative thought that I see and with which I identify in the Dati Leumi world in Israel, regrettably lacks parallels in the American Modern Orthodox community.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2016 06:15AM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Bookjed review: Torah and Western Thought: Intellectual Portraits of Orthodoxy and Modernity

Pesach Sommer August 26, 2016 03:37AM

Jack Bieler August 26, 2016 03:46AM

Pesach Sommer September 02, 2016 06:13AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character L defined in its font.