Re: The Tefilla Project / Creative Response to Educational Challenges in Tefilla
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: The Tefilla Project / Creative Response to Educational Challenges in Tefilla

September 09, 2016 05:56AM
I appreciate all of the comments and even the constructive feedback that I received for my article regarding educational challenges in Tefilla.

I would like to clarify a few points, if I may.
First, as a matter of rhetoric and structure, I wrote an article that was limited in words and scope deliberately, in order to focus on very specific elements of Tefilla's challenges and their solutions.
Second, I wanted to lay out my holistic view of Tefilla and student engagement - the three tiered approach:

1. Structure (Kelipa) and environment
2. Pedagogy
3. The heart of Tefilla - internalization and Kavannah

The structure is basically what I described in my previous article. It breaks down into three main elements -
a) Less is More
b) Say it out loud!
c) Tefilla in smaller groups
I want to take the time to expound on the other two components of Tefilla engagement.

2. Pedagogy:
Tefilla classes have become more of a trend recently, and even in the school I taught in Toronto they eventually put a Tefilla class once a week in grades 6, 7, and 8. In my opinion, the most effective way of teaching Tefilla is creating a consistent teaching model, in other words - teach Tefilla 2 minutes every day.
As I briefly mentioned in the article I wrote, addressing the challenge of language and understanding the concepts in Tefilla. Topics that can be covered in brief, bite-size, sessions are - What does "Baruch" mean? Explaining different words, What is the origin of certain Tefillot (for example - Ashrei, and its complexity)? And other similar topics. These are albeit basic topics, but not trivial. Students usually have very little knowledge of the actual words and concepts they are saying. Once that obstacle is removed, the opportunity for positive Tefilla engagement is much greater.

3. Internalization
In my LinkedIn article, "Tefilla - The Ultimate Self Mantra", I addressed the heart of the matter - how to make Tefilla a relevant and meaningful experience. In short, Tefilla is primarily targeted for man to himself (Bein Adam Le'Atzmo) and for us to create a sense of community, not for God. God has no real need in our Tefillot, he is omnipotent. God wants us to say Tefilla in order to internalize our values, the fabric of our Jewish identity.
In essence, Tefilla is a golden opportunity for us to create positive pathways in our brain, deepen our value system, and internalize our commitment to our community and Jewish peoplehood. Since this is a comment, I will not expound more on this point, you are all welcome to read the article above to explore further.

The Tefilla Project, which I founded, supports educators and trains them to engage students in Tefilla in all three tiers.

all of your comments are much appreciated, and I have learned many new insights from them. Here is a comment I especially took to, by Barbara Freedman:

Another very important component in T'filla education is the family, the community and the Beit Knesset. What does the student see on Shabbat (if he/she goes to the Beit Knesset -is this an important family value?). Is everyone -men and women -engaged in T'filla? What happens during Kriat HaTorah? Haftorah? The Rabbi's drasha? What happens at home on Sundays? Is T'filla part of family life? What happens when its time for Mincha? I think you know what I mean.

I would address the above comment with the following response: The structure of Tefilla should not exclusively be limited to engaging students in a school setting. There is definitely a place, and probably a need, to renew the Tefilla models in our Synagogues and community settings as well, not just in our youth groups but even in the main service. Our primary examples in our lives are our parents. There is no way around that point. If Tefilla is meaningful in our homes and the positive example is set by one's parents and mentors - that will be the deciding factor on if the youth will be engaged in Tefilla or not, for the most part. If the examples are not positive, that has a lasting effect as well. Do families do Tefilla together? Do they sing Birkat Hamazon together? If not - why not?
Our family and community settings are the best way to organically influence the next generation and set the bar high. How many times have I seen parents in Tefilla who are on their phones (not with the Tefilla app) rather than immersing in Tefilla, with their kids standing beside them? What example does that set?

I would appreciate comments and suggestions about meaningful family engagement Tefilla models as well.

We should all have meaningful Tefillot in this Elul, with Yamim Nora'im swiftly approaching.

Ariel Tal
Founder, The Tefilla Project

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2016 05:57AM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

The Tefilla Project / Creative Response to Educational Challenges in Tefilla

Ariel Tal August 31, 2016 04:02PM

Abe Katz August 31, 2016 04:05PM

Remaining Orthodox and Tefilla

Michael Broyde September 06, 2016 05:58AM

Re: Remaining Orthodox and Tefilla - A Response

Abe Katz September 16, 2016 05:48AM

Abe Katz September 26, 2016 06:31AM

Daniel Rose August 31, 2016 04:10PM

Avi Herzog August 31, 2016 04:18PM

Simi Peters September 05, 2016 06:55PM

Barbara Freedman September 05, 2016 06:58PM

Yonah Fuld September 25, 2016 08:22AM

Tzvi Klugerman September 09, 2016 05:31AM

Ariel Tal September 09, 2016 05:56AM

Stu Grant September 15, 2016 05:20AM

Yael Friedman November 14, 2016 06:00AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character J defined in its font.