Re: Talmud Topics for Middle School
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

January 19, 2017 09:20AM
Thank you for sharing David Stein’s article. The question is a good one.

I recently had a discussion with a Yeshiva student who spent most of his life learning at Zilberman (where they start with Breishit and continue in order over the years at the yeshiva) and then switched to Mir in the past few years. I wanted to know what he thought the positive and negative affects of this type of learning had on him, especially given he was now learning in a yeshiva with a completely different style.

He told me that one of the positive aspects of this method of learning was that he only started learning Talmud at 14/15 when he was cognitively ready to process the structure of learning gemara, to understand that there was a question. Earlier he gained facility with material, a love of learning, and curiosity. It was also interesting to note that clearly not all the students excelled at the yeshiva, but they all seemed to benefit from the delay (in his opinion.)

I thought this was an interesting point. Perhaps starting talmud in 4-6th is too early, given where children are at cognitively, and this keeps many students from enjoying learning. This may also be the case with mishnah. This also seems to fit with Bruner’s approach.

Personally, I was thinking about this as a parent thinking about schools for my kids as well as evaluating whether learning mishnayot with my daughter at age 9 is the best choice of a parent/child chavruta given the difficulty of some of the terminology and concepts.

Meira

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2017 09:20AM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Talmud Topics for Middle School

Joseph Schwarz January 08, 2017 05:14PM

tdaum January 08, 2017 07:32PM

Sasson Gabbai January 15, 2017 07:15PM

Meira Josephy January 19, 2017 09:20AM

Tzvika Kanarek January 25, 2017 12:49PM

Russell Jay Hendel January 31, 2017 08:02AM

Tzvika Kanarek January 16, 2017 08:33AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character C defined in its font.