Discussion topic: An educational paradox
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

April 12, 2018 02:05PM
Much has been written, and will undoubtedly continue to be written, about the current spiritual state of our teenagers. We hear about teens keeping "half-Shabbos" or being far less careful with issues of negiah, we talk about schools having to spend more time and money on programming so as to better provide for the spiritual education of our students, and we see our students sometimes drifting off of the path and sometimes seeking out new avenues to spirituality (witness the rise of neo-chassidism). Each school, shul, and community has to be aware of what its teenagers are going through and plan accordingly.

What is interesting to me is that our students are unique in one way from the generations of students that preceded them. Without having the numbers in hand, I am going to assume that a higher percentage of our students (as compared with 20 or perhaps even 10 years ago), are children of at least one parent, and often two parents, who studied for a year or more in Yeshiva in Israel. One would expect, or at least hope, that someone who not only had a full day school and high school education in America, but also the supposedly life-altering education and experience in Israel, would be equipped to provide their children with the softer religious skills and inspiration that schools seem to be tasked with doing in loco parentis. Do we blame post-modernism? Smartphones? Some other trendy bogeyman? I am intrigued to hear the thoughts of the members of this forum.

Aaron Ross

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2018 02:06PM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Aaron Ross April 12, 2018 02:05PM

Re: Discussion topic: An educational paradox

Mark Trencher April 12, 2018 03:25PM

Jack Bieler April 12, 2018 08:19PM

Jay Goldintz April 16, 2018 06:58AM

Author:

Subject:

banner class does not have character U defined in its font.