Kavod Hatzibbur (Women and Kriat Megilla)
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

February 05, 1999 05:00AM
<HTML>Dear Shalom & List,
I am currently teaching an advanced Gemara shiur to 12th graders. We have recently done the sugya of Woman's obligation in reading the Megilla.
After going through the Gemaras, Rishonim and Achronim with them one issue arose that I had difficulty explaining. An opinion cited by Ritva and Arukh Hashulchan is that woman cannot read for men because it is not Kavod Hatzibbur. How does one explain this term Kavod Hatzibbur. This is especially difficult because I am teaching a co-educational class. This term seems to jar on modern sensibilities. Why would it be less Kavod for a woman to read than a man and why should it make a difference? This is
especially important to explain well considering that it is also cited to explain other halakhot pertaining to woman such as the reason why woman cannot get aliyot in shul. I tried to explain Kavod Hatzibbur based on the Rav's interpretation (cited in a recent article in Tradition by Rav Meiselman) that there are certain rules of etiquette in the synagogue and this goes against the traditional etiquette expected in shul. However, one of my colleagues pointed out that while this might be a good interpretation of Kavod Beit Haknesset and perhaps Kavod HaTorah it does not adequately explain Kavod Hatzibbur. How does one adequately explain this Halakha and what are the boundaries of this Halakha especially now that it is commonplace that woman do public activities in front of mixed audiences.
Anyone who could send me sources shedding light on this issue would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Tzvi Pittinsky
The Frisch School Paramus, New Jersey</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

Tzvi Pittinsky February 05, 1999 05:00AM

Re: Kavod Hatzibbur (Women and Kriat Megilla)

Shalom Berger February 05, 1999 05:00AM

Avie Walfish February 08, 1999 05:00AM

Rabbi Howard Jachter February 08, 1999 05:00AM

Barbara Freedman February 22, 1999 05:00AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character T defined in its font.