Re: Goel Hadam
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

January 15, 2012 10:34PM
Regarding Sima Neiger’s question about goel hadam:

I’ve had similar difficulties, not regarding the nekama aspect, as every onesh of the Torah, whether through man or heaven, involves the nekama/kapara component. I was troubled that our view, and the comfort that we offer the bereaved, is that all happens min hashamayim, and their time had come, regardless of the circumstances that led to the death. I had difficulties with the thought of sharing that with someone and then teaching him the mitzvah of being a goel hadam.

It’s still a work in progress but I now view it as follows. If a person kills intentionally, the onesh/kaparah is capital punishment. The Beit Din appoints a person who delivers that onesh/kaparah. If a person kills b’shogeg, their onesh/kaparah is a suspended capital punishment. Once again, the Beit Din appoints a person who delivers that onesh/kaparah. He’s called the goel hadam. If the person stays within the parameters of the Ir Miklat, the sentence remains suspended. If the Kohen Gadol dies, the sentence is cancelled. If the person breaches the rules of his suspended sentence by venturing out of the Ir Miklat, then the Beit Din appointed person, the goel hadam, delivers the din of the Beit Din. It’s not revenge killing, it’s not honor killings, it’s the din Torah as directed by the Beit Din.

Perhaps the relative is chosen as we can depend on him to carry out this din even decades into the future.

Rabbi Yisroel Ciner
Beth Jacob Congregation of Irvine
[www.bethjacobirvine.org]
Subject Author Posted

Goel Hadam

Sima Neiger January 11, 2012 01:54AM

tdaum January 12, 2012 01:18AM

Russell Jay Hendel January 15, 2012 10:14PM

Jeremiah Unterman January 15, 2012 10:26PM

Benyomin Walters January 15, 2012 10:28PM

Yisroel Ciner January 15, 2012 10:34PM

Tova W. Sinensky January 16, 2012 07:42PM

Shalom Carmy January 19, 2012 07:39AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character N defined in its font.