Re: New website: www.practicalhalacha.com
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

February 08, 2015 09:21PM
I sometimes feel the same way as Rabbi Rackover does about Lookjed posts, meaning I sometimes question whether a specific post is really aligned with the outlook of Lookjed. That said, I think the real issue is will some people benefit from a specific post or link even if some may not?

I also thought the sources were missing and the citations were brief. I personally have a child with Down Syndrome as well. I did however learn some things from the practical halacha website I didn't know and probably wouldn't have asked about (specifically the issue of differences between seeing real acts of the three cardinal sins as opposed to actors portraying them).

The fact that the piskei halacha are reviewed by Rav Heineman makes them at least have a legitimate Posek's approbation to them. As Rav Moshe wrote about his own Psak, if someone follows a ruling of a different Rabbi then sees a different view in Igros Moshe, the Igros Moshe should be viewed as Talmud Torah rather than Psak Halachah for that person in that case.

I personally would ask someone like Rav Schacter or Rav Broyde if there are Halachic approaches that are more normative in our community regarding any Halachos that sound skewed or not applicable.

I also believe the question of what material is suitable for Lookjed has come up before. The reason this website has had staying power for over fifteen years is because Rabbi Shalom Berger is the moderator. This means we trust he has the seichel to determine whether a post will be of value to a significant number of Lookjeders or not.

Shalom,

Elisha Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2015 09:22PM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

New website: www.practicalhalacha.com

Richard Aiken February 04, 2015 07:25AM

Mordechai Rackover February 04, 2015 07:28AM

Moshe Murray February 04, 2015 03:24PM

Michael J. Broyde February 04, 2015 07:24PM

Elisha Paul February 08, 2015 09:21PM

Yael Unterman February 09, 2015 05:44PM

tdaum February 11, 2015 07:11PM

Elisha Paul February 12, 2015 07:48PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character 6 defined in its font.