Re: Why should Gemarah be important for students?
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

September 21, 2015 08:54AM
Shalom,

My general attitude towards this question is that of Yitzchak Jacobs, but I’d like to expand on it a bit:

Other than a rudimentary facility with the Three Rs, is there anything we teach in K-12 that the students will likely need afterwards? History? Literature? Science?

I would say, then, that our first order of business is to disabuse the students of the idea that we are focused on preparing them for the practical necessities of living. I would say that, but really there’s an even more fundamental objection that we have to raise to their complaints: Their happiness is not our focus either, so any question of how a class will be useful to them is beside the point.

What is our focus? I may have mentioned here before that a statement of Joel Wolowelsky’s, when I was his student, had a profound impact on me. He said the “Judaism is a religion of responsibility.” Many years later, R. Amital, zt”l, was to expand on that principle in opposition to the fad of “connectedness” that had gained currency. We are trying, then, to make of our students responsible adults, with a knowledge of what their responsibilities are and the tools required to execute them.

Along the way, we want to do right by them as we want them to do right by others, so we supply them with the knowledge, skills and attitudes that will let them derive satisfaction from their lives. There’s plenty of evidence, if the popular psychology books are to be believed, that people are happiest when they believe they’re doing the right thing, and Kohelet has taught us that while there may be no ultimate practical advantage to knowledge and skill, the difference between having them and not is the difference between light and darkness.

These are things that I think the kids can be led to understand, after which, even if they don’t come to feel that they’re gaining anything from learning gemara, they may at least figure that it’s useless to complain.

Michael Berkowitz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2015 08:55AM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Why should Gemarah be important for students?

tdaum September 01, 2015 02:59PM

Michael Schachter September 06, 2015 11:00AM

Alan Wecker September 06, 2015 01:11PM

Yisroel Kaminetsky September 07, 2015 06:24AM

Aryeh Klapper September 07, 2015 06:56AM

Michael J. Broyde September 07, 2015 07:02AM

Yitzchak Jacobs September 07, 2015 05:48PM

Michael Berkowitz September 21, 2015 08:54AM

Michael Berkowitz September 21, 2015 08:54AM

Russell Jay Hendel October 06, 2015 12:28PM

Zvi Leshem October 11, 2015 06:46PM

Tzvika Kanarek October 12, 2015 07:34PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character C defined in its font.