Re: Goals of yeshiva education
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

March 14, 2012 09:18AM
Dear Shalom,

Rabbi Michael J. Broyde whom I greatly respect (and frankly blush at the fact that I was his Bar Mitzva teacher decades ago) addresses the issue of claims made without empirical data to back it up. The fact is that I admitted that right at the beginning of my post. Even so, just because one doesn’t have scientific studies to back up what one says, doesn’t mean that he is totally ignorant either. “Ein l’dayan elah ma she’einav ro’ot”.

My post was a response to Professor Yitzchok Levine (whom I also have a great deal of respect for) that implied that many, if not most, of Israeli Post High School Yeshiva graduates (including those that stayed for two years) are not observant today. I found this claim to be impossible, and not even close to the truth; and even though I don’t have a scientific study to back it up, I have a feeling that most people would agree with me (I admittedly don’t have an empirical study to back that up either).

Although this may not be politically correct in academia, but not everything we think, say or write has to have been proven by a scientifically based study to be true. Most of a man’s conclusions and decisions are based on perceptions that he makes without empirical data. Does that mean that they are false? Our lives would be absurd if every observation needed a scientific study before being valid. If we had such a study it would be great, but until then we have to rely on our “sechel hayashar” and our own perceptions.

Another point that I made that Rabbi Broyde takes issue with is my unproven claim that "Kids today are prouder and more desiring of their Judaism than in years past". Again, I can only base this on what I see both here in Israel and when I visit Chutz Laaretz to interview students. When I was in High School there was very little work done on anything “Ruchani” during the School year and surely during the summer vacation. In the last two decades there has been a revolution in this aspect of education. In my day there was no NCSY Kollel, no Kollel in Summer Camps for High School kids and schools gave experiential Judaism very little weight. Today is an entirely different world than 40 years ago when I was in High School. NCSY Kollel is very popular, almost every camp has a Kollel of its own and schools invest time and effort in positive Jewish experiential programming which was almost nonexistent in my day. These programs are paying off dividends which are very evident to anyone who is involved in Post High School Jewish Youth.
Kol Tuv,

David Lebor
Ram, Yeshivat Shaalvim
Subject Author Posted

What are they doing with all that time?

Yitzchok Levine February 19, 2012 08:02PM

Re: What are they doing with all that time?

Elisha Paul February 22, 2012 06:56AM

Peretz Scheinerman February 28, 2012 07:53AM

Yitzchok Levine February 28, 2012 07:55AM

Elana Sztokman February 22, 2012 06:59AM

Sasson Gabbai February 28, 2012 07:47AM

David Lebor March 01, 2012 07:10AM

Goals of yeshiva education

Michael J. Broyde March 05, 2012 01:40PM

Are our schools doing the job?

Peretz Scheinerman March 12, 2012 06:31PM

David Lebor March 14, 2012 09:18AM

Michael Berkowitz March 02, 2012 01:06PM

tdaum March 04, 2012 04:10AM

Shalom Berger March 12, 2012 09:37AM

Seth Godin's educational manifesto

Yerucham Glassman May 14, 2012 07:55AM

Seth Godin

Shlomo Horwitz May 14, 2012 07:59AM

Yitzchak Jacobs May 14, 2012 07:59AM

Seth Godin's manifesto

Sasson Gabbai May 14, 2012 08:00AM

Michael Berkowitz May 14, 2012 08:08AM

Response to Educational Manifesto

Tikvah Wiener May 14, 2012 08:16AM

Chana Tannenbaum March 15, 2012 08:10AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character G defined in its font.