Re: Who’s Afraid of Change? Rethinking the Yeshivah Curriculum
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

November 18, 2012 02:24AM
I was hoping Professor Levine's post would generate more of a response than it did as Rabbi Wein raises many interesting points worthy of consideration. If I am not mistaken the original post was made during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy which delayed my personal response and it might have delayed others as well.

One issue Rabbi Wein raises is that of teaching midrash as pshat which I agree happens all the time in Yeshivas and Day Schools. For younger students the midrash makes a great addition to any story and as such the most fantastic aggadot are taught as pshat even when there is no compelling reason to do so. For example, which child doesn't know that the daughter of Paroh extended her hand to take Moshe out of the Nile and when she did so her hand extended like Inspector Gadget? However, Rashi himself says this is not the simple meaning of the verse but rather she sent her maid to get the child. Yet, we as educators incorporate this midrash into our teachings as if is were written into the Chumash.

In my mind, I wonder how much long term damage we do to our students by telling them fantastically incredible tales that hardly sound believable. Many Rishonim suggest that aggadot were not meant to be taken at face value. I once heard from my Rebbi, Rabbi Shlomo Wolbe zt"l that agaddata is the hardest portion of Shas. For in the non-aggadic portions of Shas the Rabbis were interested in revealing the meaning of the laws of the Torah, whereas in aggadata (i.e. midrash) they were primarily interested in concealing their teachings. Midrash is almost always an allusion to some sort of deeper teaching (be it ethical or otherwise) which the Rabbis put in the guise of a story so that only the brightest scholars would be able to discern its true intended meaning. Thus, to understand these midrashim at face value is in essence to obfuscate the true meaning of the medrash itself. Of course it would seem more pious to accept a midrash at face value, but it is most likely that the midrash itself did not intend for itself to be taken at face value.

Be that as it may, I think the problem starts with the fact that Rashi often incorporates the drash into his commentary on Chumash in order to accommodate a textual nuance. Readers then confuse that with pshat. Rashi himself in Gensis 3:8 [www.chabad.org] writes that he is primarily interested in pshat and brings in the drash only to resolve textual incongruities. Resolving a textual incongruity does not make something pshat, it simply allocates the incongruity to the portion of Torah called drash which is not to be confused with pshat. Rashbam in the beginning of Vayeishev [www.daat.ac.il] writes that he personally argued with Rashi about the incorporation of drash into his commentary and Rashi agreed with him that if he had time he would write another commentary based on the pshat. (The Rashbam there explains why many commentators chose to follow drash over pshat.)

I would humbly suggest that our generation is not on the level of understanding the true intentions of many of these midrashim. Therefore, if we cannot explain midrashim properly, perhaps we should skip Rashis that incorporate fantastic midrashim just as many teachers skip dikduk Rashis which they don't understand. The only thing is, it is much easier to fool yourself into thinking you understand a midrash Rashi than a dikduk Rashi. If such a change will come to the standard day school curriculum remains to be be seen. I truly believe students would be better off if it did.

Tzvi Daum

[torahskills.org]
[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2012 06:54AM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Who’s Afraid of Change? Rethinking the Yeshivah Curriculum

Yitzchok Levine October 31, 2012 08:24AM

tdaum November 18, 2012 02:24AM

Yitzchok Levine November 20, 2012 08:28AM

Impossible to Know

Yitzchok Levine November 26, 2012 07:10PM

Learn to Say, "I do not know"

Yitzchok Levine November 26, 2012 07:13PM

Yair Kahn November 20, 2012 08:31AM

tdaum November 21, 2012 03:11AM

Russell Jay Hendel November 26, 2012 07:03PM

Jesse Abelman November 28, 2012 07:45PM

Rivka was only 3

David Derovan December 21, 2012 01:52PM

Debbie Lifschitz November 25, 2012 09:49PM

Yitzchok Levine December 04, 2012 07:11AM

State of Day School education

Lawrence Kobrin December 07, 2012 08:49AM

Reuven Spolter December 09, 2012 07:11PM

Russell Jay Hendel December 10, 2012 07:47AM

Pesach Sommer December 13, 2012 06:45PM

Avi Billet December 23, 2012 12:40PM

Russell Jay Hendel January 01, 2013 08:09AM

Gershom Tave December 29, 2012 05:47PM

Scot A. Berman January 01, 2013 07:53AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character U defined in its font.