Re: Women and Tefillin
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

January 27, 2014 08:37AM
I would like to preface my comments with the caveat that I don't live in the U.S. and am therefore uninformed as to the particular communal dynamics that may have led both to the decision to permit girls to don tefillin in school, as well as the subsequent attack on that position.

Moreover, I don't wish to delve into the halachik question. Regarding halacha, there is certainly justification for those that protest women wearing tefillin, however, there is also sufficient leeway to be lenient under certain circumstances.

I would like to relate to the educational question.

The sharp attack against the progressive decision to publically allow girls to don tefillin in an Orthodox school was certainly to be expected. Was it fair to place highschool age girls at the center of this controversy? Is it honest to then turn around and express how appalling these attacks are? (And yes, I think they are appalling as well as inexcusable - but unfortunately expected nonetheless).

Publicity makes it a political issue. Wouldn't it have been better educationally to separate the religious issue from the political one? Wouldn't it have been preferable to encourage the spiritual growth and aspirations of these girls without making them part of a feministic protest? Allowing and even encouraging the girls to continue donning tefillin in private, in order that their mitzvah performance remain spiritual and pure would have achieved both both educational and religious goals, without the ugly inevitable political fallout.

bvracha,

R. Yair Kahn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2014 08:38AM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Women and Tefillin

Eliana Finerman January 21, 2014 07:52AM

tdaum January 22, 2014 06:06PM

Elisha Paul January 22, 2014 07:25PM

Steve Bailey January 22, 2014 07:44PM

Shalom Z. Berger January 22, 2014 08:35PM

Richard Altabe January 22, 2014 08:42PM

Shmuel Silberman January 23, 2014 07:38AM

Nechama Barash January 23, 2014 10:17AM

Bernie_Fox January 26, 2014 09:24PM

Bernie_Fox February 03, 2014 05:42PM

Yair Kahn January 27, 2014 08:37AM

Shalom Z. Berger January 27, 2014 08:46AM

Aryeh A. Frimer January 27, 2014 08:50AM

Kenny Schiowitz January 28, 2014 07:25AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character T defined in its font.