Re: Showing Israeli graphic footage in the classroom
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

October 22, 2015 07:20AM
Dear Shalom,

All four pieces you posted on the current situation in Israel were excellent, and lead me to wonder how psychologists might distinguish between Attenders and Distractors in this situation. If Michelle Smilowitz's students felt calmer after not watching the gruesome videos, does this mean that they were all Distractors who had unfortunately been coerced into watching by their friends, or would this approach also work for Attenders? Wouldn't Attenders need to watch these videos to maintain their calm? (That seems to be the case for several people I know, though personally I prefer to minimize the amount of exposure I have to this material.)

A quick turn to Dr. Google reveals that "children characterized as distractors who were provided with guided imagery tolerated more pain than did either distractors or attenders who were provided with ..." (Shaw et al, Textbook of Pediatric Psychosomatic Medicine). Apparently, Distractors, who are forced to pay attention in the right way, will cope better than those who instinctively distract or attend, so clearly, the picture is more complex than it appears at first and the educational models that Julie Joseph mentioned will need to take this into account.

May we know more peaceful days,

Meshulam

Meshulam Gotlieb, MA
Academic Translator and English-Language Editor
Member of the Israel Translators Association
www.MGtransed.com
Subject Author Posted

Showing Israeli graphic footage in the classroom

Julie Stern Joseph October 17, 2015 08:46PM

Alan Haber October 18, 2015 12:54PM

Irwin J. (Yitzchak) Mansdorf October 18, 2015 01:32PM

Julie Stern Joseph October 18, 2015 05:58PM

Russell Jay Hendel October 22, 2015 07:05AM

Michelle Smilowitz October 20, 2015 06:52AM

Meshulam Gotlieb October 22, 2015 07:20AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character D defined in its font.