Discussion topic: Compensation for female educators
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

August 22, 2016 04:06PM
[blogs.timesofisrael.com]

An excerpt:
<<
While both male and female educators are both frequently underpaid, women often earn less than men, perhaps because of a prevailing assumption that their husband or another relative is providing their primary income. A woman I know tells the following story, she says, as often as she can, because it opened her eyes to a new perspective on this matter:

A while ago I was asked to speak on a panel, along with several men. It felt like a great honor, based on my esteemed company, and I never stopped to think about compensation. The panel was lovely and then a week later, a box arrived at my door. When I opened it up, it contained a thank you note and a babka. I was a bit taken aback. Sometimes no compensation is better than a crumb (literally) and I consulted one of my co-panelists to find out if he too had received a babka. He responded by telling me that he had in fact received a fairly sizable check!

When she contacted the event organizer regarding why her colleague received a check and she got a babka, she was told that he had asked to be paid. Whether this colleague really asked, or whether the organizers presumed that he would not participate in the panel unless he were paid, the point of this story is that there is a lack of concern for achieving consistency when it comes to compensating men and women for the same work.

We live in a world where valuable objects and experiences are reflected in their price-tag. We spend money on what is important to us. Yet Orthodox Jewish women are not compensated as much as men, and sometimes they are not compensated at all.
>>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2016 04:08PM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Joseph Goldberg August 22, 2016 04:06PM

Re: Discussion topic: Compensation for female educators

Yitz Jacobs August 26, 2016 02:38AM

Malka Simkovich August 31, 2016 04:34PM

Reuven Spolter September 09, 2016 05:27AM

Meira Welt-Maarek September 12, 2016 06:27AM

Joel B. Wolowelsky September 12, 2016 06:31AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character M defined in its font.