Re: Discussion topic: Compensation for female educators
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

August 31, 2016 04:34PM
As the author of the article that Rabbi Goldberg and Rabbi Jacobs cite, I want to make some clarifying points. I absolutely agree that broadly speaking, women in all fields are paid less than men, as Rabbi Jacobs points out. When I wrote the piece, I had the U.S. women's soccer team and certain Hollywood actresses in mind, who have recently advocated for the equal pay of men and women. As for Rabbi Jacobs' second point, while it may be that educators across the board are undercompensated, I believe that the inequity between worth and compensation in the field of Orthodox education is greater for women than men. The original version of the article had some anecdotes that specifically point to this gender inequity, but I was asked to take them out by some colleagues to whom I showed the article, because I would not have been able to mention these anecdotes without directly targeting particular shuls.

I have noticed that most of my Israeli colleagues have responded to my article by emphasizing that both men and women educators are underpaid, while most of my American colleagues agree that the main issue here is gender inequity. Of course, this is a "both/and" situation.

Dr. Malka Simkovich
Visiting Assistant Professor of Jewish Studies
Catholic Theological Union
Subject Author Posted

Discussion topic: Compensation for female educators

Joseph Goldberg August 22, 2016 04:06PM

Yitz Jacobs August 26, 2016 02:38AM

Malka Simkovich August 31, 2016 04:34PM

Reuven Spolter September 09, 2016 05:27AM

Meira Welt-Maarek September 12, 2016 06:27AM

Joel B. Wolowelsky September 12, 2016 06:31AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character W defined in its font.