Re: Professional Development Query
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

November 15, 2015 01:51PM
Jeff,

What a wonderful opportunity!

My recommendation: If you actually have the opportunity (and resources) to change the culture of PD in the school, don’t do more of the same. Instead, think about how to do sustained teacher learning within your environment, rather than sending teachers out to one-offs that they “bring back” — or don’t — to their colleagues. Even if they are learn a lot, and are sincere about bringing that back and sharing it with their colleagues, the obstacles to implementing substantive change are just too large.

That’s the big takeaway from the folks who study effective PD: it should be sustained, ongoing and intensive; it ideally should be on-site rather than off-site; it should develop a community of teachers learning with and from each other, and working on a subject of shared concern.

The resources, then, go towards release time (as they would, in paying for workshops or conferences) and facilitators, not conference fees and travel. It’s not that conferences are never valuable. (I’ve even run some myself!) But as a strategy for school change and faculty growth, distributing funds for a series of one-offs may not be the best way to go.

Jon A. Levisohn
Brandeis University
Subject Author Posted

Professional Development Query

Jeff Kobrin November 12, 2015 07:47PM

Jon A. Levisohn November 15, 2015 01:51PM

Mark Smilowitz November 15, 2015 05:00PM

Yaakov Bieler November 18, 2015 04:27PM

Jeff Rothman November 18, 2015 04:29PM

Seymour Epstein November 25, 2015 08:40PM

Russell Jay Hendel December 07, 2015 07:06AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character C defined in its font.