Re: Professional Development Query
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

November 18, 2015 04:29PM
Jeff, I would consider a three pronged approach:

1. Release time in the schedule or an altered schedule to give teachers the chance to work with coaches and with their peers.
2. Hire educational coaches and educational technology integrators to work with your staff.
3. Get your staff out of your daled amot - go to the best conferences.

Before moving to Toronto this summer, I spent much of the last two years with my fellow principals at HALB, improving the professional development of our teaching staff. I would say that we did a great job at items number one and two above, and a decent job at item number three. The reality is that to bring about real continuous growth for your staff, you need a process and system for them to follow. HALB has invested in educational technology integrators in all divisions of the school and has brought in quality outside consultants to be a constant support system for the teachers.

In addition to that, we were creative in how to spend significant money towards sending teachers to quality conferences; and it made a huge difference. (On this point, I disagree with Jon Levisohn's response.) Send your teachers in teams, by grade level, department or some other creative grouping. For example, I have three of my Netivot teachers in Boston this week attending the EdTech Teacher iPad Summit in Boston. Having taken a group of five teachers from HALB last year to this conference, I saw what an impact it had in the classroom. Other conferences like ASCD, FETC and ISTE are just a few that come to mind.

Finally, get out and visit other schools. In my previous role, I visited private, public, independent, Jewish and Catholic schools. Any school that had something new and innovative to offer, we went to. Take your staff in teams to see what other schools are doing. My fear is that most of our schools get so busy and we get used to doing things a certain way, that we do not get out enough to see what others are doing.

In short, you have a wonderful opportunity before you. Have fun with it. And if you don't find enough ways to spend the money, please send some my way!

Jeff Rothman
Head of School
Netivot HaTorah Day School

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2015 04:31PM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

Professional Development Query

Jeff Kobrin November 12, 2015 07:47PM

Jon A. Levisohn November 15, 2015 01:51PM

Mark Smilowitz November 15, 2015 05:00PM

Yaakov Bieler November 18, 2015 04:27PM

Jeff Rothman November 18, 2015 04:29PM

Seymour Epstein November 25, 2015 08:40PM

Russell Jay Hendel December 07, 2015 07:06AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character P defined in its font.