Re: Professional Development Query
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

November 15, 2015 05:00PM
Dear Shalom -

I would like to share with Rabbi Jeff Kobrin the way funds were used for professional development when I was running a peer mentoring program at the Northwest Yeshiva High School in Seattle over a decade ago. Under the tutelage of the principal Rabbi Bernie Fox, we operated with two foundations of effective teacher growth. Those are, 1. it needs to be personalized, and 2. it needs to be ongoing. To that end, we identified a couple of teachers who showed a lot of promise but were quite new and would benefit from mentoring, found them a fellow teacher who was then trained as a peer mentor using the ASCD program “Another Set of Eyes”, and put together a schedule for meetings and classroom observations. An important aspect of the program is that both mentees and mentors were paid for their time participating in the program. We were very happy with the program and feel it had long term positive consequences in terms of professional development. I will be happy to provide more details upon request.

Mark Smilowitz
Machshevet Yisrael Teacher
YTA Girls High School, Jerusalem
Subject Author Posted

Professional Development Query

Jeff Kobrin November 12, 2015 07:47PM

Jon A. Levisohn November 15, 2015 01:51PM

Mark Smilowitz November 15, 2015 05:00PM

Yaakov Bieler November 18, 2015 04:27PM

Jeff Rothman November 18, 2015 04:29PM

Seymour Epstein November 25, 2015 08:40PM

Russell Jay Hendel December 07, 2015 07:06AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character B defined in its font.