Response to a Personal Note by Shalom Berger
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

November 26, 2015 09:58PM
Let me begin by pointing I do not consider myself a Zionist. My outlook on the issue is similar to that of Rav Shimon Schwab, ZT"L, as outlined in his article

Zion or Zionism at [web.stevens.edu]

This being said, I have two grandchildren who are presently studying in Israel. However, they did not go after they graduated high school. Rifael spent 4 years in Peekskill and is now in Rabbi Tzvi Kaplan's yeshiva. Leeba was in a seminary last year in Lakewood and is now in a Maalot in Har Not. In addition, I have another grandson who lives in EY and will be graduating high school this year. He is planning on attending a Hesder Yeshiva. B"H, studying in Israel has been and continues to be a positive experience for each of them.

However, it is not at all clear to me that spending a year after high school in EY is for everyone. Indeed, while I have no statistics, it may be a very wrong decision for many.

I am told that a not insignificant number of day school graduates graduate with real problems. Some have psychological problems, some have addiction problems, and some have observance problems. Parents tend to think (hope) that a year in EY will fix these problems. However, most of the yeshivas and seminaries in EY are not equipped to handle these sorts of problems. Thus, these students will not get the help that they really need.

Some students are not inclined to study full-time. Apparently some yeshivas and seminaries have Chesed programs to deal with these types. But do they really? I do not know.

Going to study in EY after graduating high school has become THE THING to do. A friend of mine, who is associated with a Bais Yaakov high school in Brooklyn, told me that after he spoke to parents of graduating seniors pointing out that going to study in EY is not for everyone. Shortly after this he received calls from the heads of seminaries telling him that if he did not stop saying this, then his graduates would not be accepted to their seminaries! (My understanding is that EY seminaries are relatively big money makers for those who run then.)

So, IMO, it is more than just the safety issue. Perhaps it is time for the MO community to evaluate the now accepted idea that almost every day school graduate should go to study in EY. This year costs parents a small fortune. But what are the positive results and are they worth the money spent?

Prof. Yitzchok Levine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2015 10:00PM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

A personal note about the situation in Israel

Shalom Berger November 26, 2015 08:09AM

Yitzchok Levine November 26, 2015 09:58PM

Re: A personal note about the situation in Israel

Dvorah Serrao November 27, 2015 11:51AM

Amihai Bannett December 01, 2015 07:41AM

Shalom Berger December 03, 2015 08:36AM

irwin j (yitzchak) mansdorf December 03, 2015 08:38AM

Yitzchok Levine December 03, 2015 08:44AM

Shalom Berger December 06, 2015 02:26PM

Shmuel Silberman December 06, 2015 07:06PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character E defined in its font.