Re: A personal note about the situation in Israel
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

December 03, 2015 08:44AM
At 07:32 AM 12/2/2015, you wrote:
<<
Yitzchok is correct that spending a year in Israel is not "for everyone." I suspect, however, that the student that Yitzchok is discussing is a different one from the typical modern Orthodox day school graduate who plans on attending university in the United States after their year in Israel. For these students, most of whom come from Zionist homes, the only option of an intensive Torah experience is in Israel; even an outstanding program in the US would not be an attraction for them. Those students – and their home communities – would be much poorer were they to decide to go to university directly after high school graduation.
>>

First of all, I would like a description of the "typical Orthodox Jewish day school graduate." Is it really true that this typical graduate plans on attending university in the US after his/her year in EY? If so, what kind of a university are we talking about? If it is a secular one, then given the situation today on many campuses (and for some years in the past) I fail to see how this can be a logical extension of an intensive Torah experience in EY. In general I think that most students who have only one year of learning like this are ill equipped to deal with the prevalent non-religious atmosphere on almost all campuses.

I agree that "Those students – and their home communities – would be much poorer were they to decide to go to university directly after high school graduation." However, is this really the only alternative?

Today there are yeshivas and Bais Yaakovs in the US that offer Torah learning combined with pursuit of a college degree. Such programs for many may indeed be superior from a Yiddishkeit standpoint that a year in EY and then attending a secular college.

YL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2015 08:45AM by mlb.
Subject Author Posted

A personal note about the situation in Israel

Shalom Berger November 26, 2015 08:09AM

Response to a Personal Note by Shalom Berger

Yitzchok Levine November 26, 2015 09:58PM

Dvorah Serrao November 27, 2015 11:51AM

Amihai Bannett December 01, 2015 07:41AM

Shalom Berger December 03, 2015 08:36AM

irwin j (yitzchak) mansdorf December 03, 2015 08:38AM

Yitzchok Levine December 03, 2015 08:44AM

Shalom Berger December 06, 2015 02:26PM

Shmuel Silberman December 06, 2015 07:06PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

banner class does not have character P defined in its font.