The following is an example from the Ministry of Education’s booklet on Sefer Bamidbar (Numbers) for grade 4. This worksheet presents a number of educational activities for the study of Birkhat Kohanim (the Priestly Blessing). Students can choose to participate in any of these activities.
Choose one of the following activities:
1. Interview a Kohen (Priest)
Find a Kohen who does the Birkhat Kohanim service and who will give you a few minutes of his time for an interview. Prepare the questions ahead of time. These examples may help you:
- On which days do you fulfill the mitzvah of Birkhat Kohanim?
- What preparations do you do before performing this mitzvah?
- Where do the Kohanim stand? With what do they cover themselves?
- What is the role of the Chazan during Birkhat Kohanim?
2. Draw a picture of a Kohen during Birkhat Kohanim
In the Diaspora, Kohanim perform this mitzvah only on Yom Tov so this activity will be difficult. However, ask a Kohen if he can give you a few minutes of his time and perform this for you one weekday. He, of course, will not say the Berakha. Present the drawing in class.
3. Tape a Kohen Performing the Service with a Tape Recorder
In the Diaspora, Kohanim perform this mitzvah only on Yom Tov so this activity will be difficult. Thus, this activity will also be done as a practice session during the week. After the session, ask a Kohen how he feels when performing the mitzvah and what he thinks about when he does it.