Chana’s Anguish and Triumph, Part 2
The student will be able to:
- Outline the story of Chapter 1 (review from Lesson 1).
- Describe Chana’s prayer of thanks to God (2:1-10).
- Express the deep sadness and subsequent joy of Chana.
- Identify the main themes of Chana’s prayer.
Students will be able to:
- Read Biblical text with understanding.
- Link Biblical texts to (personal) human feeling and emotion.
Students will appreciate:
- The importance of showing gratitude.
- The importance of prayer in Jewish life.
- Review Samuel I 1-2:11 briefly.
- Ask the class what they would expect to hear in a prayer of thanksgiving from Chana. Then read the prayer and explain.
- Questions for discussion:
– What are the feelings that are being expressed in the prayer?
– Does this match the expectations of the class (see #2)?
– When thanking God, is prayer enough, or is action needed (i.e. giving charity)?
– What do Chana’s actions say about her? What type of person is she?
- Ask students to share prayer experiences when they have been in a similar frame of mind (i.e. extremely grateful). What would they say?
- Ask students to identify themes of the prayer, including:
– Praise and thanks – Love of God
– Power of God – Submission of self
- Homework: Students rewrite Chana’s prayer in modern-day language. The prayer should outline the story in Chapter 1 and include themes from Chana’s prayer.
CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO PART 1.
CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE TO PART 3.